Thursday 27 October 2011

Day 0

I have picked up 7 fertile Speckled Sussex eggs, from a nice man from Hahndorf (he threw in an extra egg). He has a dozen in an incubator (to replace the 10 a fox ate this week) and he thinks he should get 11 chicks out of 12 eggs... It will be interesting to see how fertile the eggs are if Hilda sits for the 21 days.

Hilda is here now sitting on 7 eggs, it felt strange trying to push them under her. After a couple of eggs she kind of adjusted herself and that was it. She has been sitting for about 4 days now, I actually haven't seen her out of the box.

I am missing my fresh eggs at the moment, so I have made a laying box for Lucy. Two boxes gaffa taped together and a hole cut in, but when I tried to push Lucy in it was a tight fit lol.

Take two! You can see on the top where I covered up the first hole and put the box lengthwise up and cut another hole. Fingers crossed I have a freshly laid egg tomorrow in here.

I moved Hilda and her clutch of eggs onto the floor and Lucy's laying box on the shelf.
Now each day is a waiting game to see if Hilda stay's the distance. Most of the people I have spoken to haven't had an ISA Brown go broody before, so we will see what happens...

Oh the man I bought the eggs from said that today is Day 0 as it was late when I put the eggs under and tomorrow will be Day 1, 21 days to go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment